Xbox One SmartGlass
By Microsoft Corporation
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Xbox One SmartGlass is the perfect companion app for your Xbox One, both in your living room and on the go. Connect and control your Xbox One. Stay connected with the games and gamers you like. And add a new dimension to your console entertainment with the mobile device you already own.
In the living room:
• Navigate your Xbox One console using your device’s keyboard and touch
• Control your media and set top box with the SmartGlass remote control
• Browse the web on your TV using your mobile device
• Enhance what you are watching or playing with SmartGlass companions
• Increase performance with faster connections and reliability
In the living room and on the go:
• Search, browse, and pin content to play on your Xbox One console
• Track achievements, get game help, message friends, and watch game clips
What's New in Version 2.10.8
View, comment, share, and save screenshots from you and your friends
XBone messaging problems now affect the iOS app, too
Being able to reply to messages from within the App is a godsend: the XBONE message interface is clunky, slow, and slow loading. Microsoft: let us plug in a USB keyboard to the XBOne, please?
App has improved somewhat, but still lacks some missing "meat and potatos" features that should just work, but don't.
1. messages, when sent, light a "message waiting" indicator in IOS on the app on the IOS desktop, and then light an MWI inside the app itself.
However: often the "MWI" at the top level on the desktop disagrees with the MWI in the app. So you'll think you have a message waiting, open the app, only to find no message waiting.
2. MWI gets "stuck" where, inside the app, even though you've opened everything you can find, read all messages... you still see a waiting MWI indicator inside the app. Nothing you do will clear the MWI.
3. if you have the app installed on multiple devices (phone, tablet), reading a message on one should mark it as read on all. it doesn't. So you read a message once, then have to re-read it again on all other installs to clear that same dang message everywhere. "Dang Double Delete".
4. App should allow you to issue and respond to party and game invitations, given how poor and interruptive those are to the in-game experience on the XBone. It doesn't, which is an odd oversight.
Let me be perfectly candid: I despise the current Xbox One interface. It's confusing, it's roundabout, after a year I still have trouble adding friends and have absolutely no idea how to redeem codes via the console.
The Smartglass app is like a sturdy, smooth bridge over the treacherous ravine that is the Console interface. It's simple, it's flexible, it's like a handheld assistant whose purpose is to solve all of the first world problems you face when trying to have a good old time on your xbox. And it commiserates with your disdain. How were both the Xbox One interface and the Smartglass interface designed by the same company? The world may never know. But if you expect to enjoy performing any function on your Xbox console beyond gaming, this app is completely essential.
Nice app, but could be more useful
The app is well made, it connects fast and is not buggy. I mostly use it as a remote, but I'd like to see it include some new features to make it more useful, for example showing you additional info on shows you're watching like IMDB data, interactive features for more shows or showing metadata from media files playing on media player. I'd like to be able to redeem codes within the app so I don't have to go to the web, and view the month's free Gold games. You can browse the store, but is not very intuitive. Also, more apps should support a proper keyboard when searching instead of the long alphabet list like Netflix uses. I guess those are not the faults of this app, but MS could ask developers to implement proper support.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Aug 20, 2015
- Version: 2.10.8
- Size: 31.0 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Microsoft Corporation
- © 2014 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.