Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Xcode includes everything developers need to create great applications for Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Apple Watch. Xcode provides developers a unified workflow for user interface design, coding, testing, and debugging. The Xcode IDE combined with the Cocoa frameworks and Swift programming language make developing apps easier and more fun than ever before.
Xcode includes the Xcode IDE, Swift and Objective-C compilers, Instruments analysis tool, simulators, the latest SDKs, and hundreds of powerful features:
Innovative tools help you create great apps
• Swift is a revolutionary programming language that is safe, fast, and modern
• Playgrounds are a fun place to experiment with Swift code, displaying instant results
• Interface Builder is a graphical UI design canvas with a live preview of your app
• View debugging shows a 3D stack of all your app's UI view layers at runtime
• Assistant editors show content related to your primary task
• Live Issues display errors as you type, and Fix-its can correct mistakes for you
Swift is a powerful, modern, and fun programming language
• Safe by design, Swift syntax and features prevent entire categories of bugs
• Fast code execution and compile time are powered by the proven LLVM compiler
• Modern language features are inspired by leading research, including:
- Closures unified with function pointers
- Tuples and multiple return values
- Structs as value types that support methods, extensions, protocols
- Powerful protocols that can extend functionality throughout your codebase
- Functional programming patterns including map and filter
Interface Builder makes it easy to design your interface without code
• Storyboards let you arrange the complete flow of screens within your app
• See your custom controls rendered live within the design canvas
• Preview your interface in different screen sizes, orientations, or languages
• StackViews make it easy to reason about the layout of each section of your interface
• Create connections from your GUI design directly to the related source code
Professional editor and debugger keep your code front and center
• Hit a few keys and Open Quickly will instantly open any file within your project
• Message bubbles show errors, warnings, and other issues right beside your code
• Data tips show a variable's value by hovering your mouse over the code
• Quick Look variables while debugging to see the actual color, bezier path, image, and more
Apple LLVM technology finds and fixes bugs for you
• Analyzer travels countless code paths looking for logical errors before they become bugs
• Live Issues identifies coding mistakes as you type with no need to build first
• Fix-it can confidently correct mistakes for you with just a keystroke
Test driven development is built right in
• Use the Test Navigator to add, edit, or run unit tests or user interface tests with just a click
• Test Assistant makes it easy to edit your code and related tests, side-by-side
• Create continuous integration bots using OS X Server to automatically build and test your apps
• Monitor performance and user interface test data using OS X Server to immediately spot regressions
Instruments makes performance analysis beautiful
• Compare CPU, disk, memory, and OpenGL performance as graphical tracks over time
• Identify performance bottlenecks, then dive deep into the code to uncover the cause
• Monitor your app directly, or sample the entire system, with very little overhead
To test or deploy applications on an iOS device, Apple TV, or on Apple Watch all you need is a free Apple ID. To submit your apps to the App Store you must be a member of the Apple Developer Program. Continuous integration features require a current version of OS X Server. Some features may require Internet access.
What's New in Version 7.3.1
Xcode 7.3.1 includes Swift 2.2 and SDKs for iOS 9.3, watchOS 2.2, tvOS 9.2, and OS X 10.11 El Capitan.
Xcode 7.3.1 fixes several critical bugs, including:
• Git updated to version 2.7.4 to improve security
• Fixed an issue where turning off a capability in the Xcode editor could leave the entitlement enabled in the app bundle
• Fixed an issue that could prevent the export of an ad-hoc build from an archive
• Fixed a crash when importing localizations
Install/Update Always Difficult
I’ve been using Xcode for almost 2 years now and can honestly say it has never installed or update correctly. I ALWAYS have to dump the application and install fresh. This has only ever happened to me with this application and I always get it direct from the App Store. Quite irritating and I am considering dropping the tool completely.
That said, when it finally does install/update I am relatively happy with the tool and have little issues while using it, nothing that is a deal breaker but certainly frustraiting at times.
Basically, I expect better from Apple… or at least I did once upon a time.
Clean should be clean. When you select clean, you shouldn't have to go find another selection to select clean to make it clean. If you think that sounds bad, try doing it.
Overall Xcode is a decent tool. If you have been using it for some time you are sure to have come across a bug in Xcode itself. I'm currently running into a problem with deleting apps on the iTunesconnect Xcode companion site. Disappointingly support has directed me to re-RTFWS for an issue that more than me are having. I'll wait a day and try it again.
Xcode is good but it would be better if they opensorced it like swift. Then it would be great.