Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Xcode provides everything developers need to create great applications for Mac, iPhone, and iPad. Xcode brings user interface design, coding, testing, and debugging all into a unified workflow. The Xcode IDE combined with the Cocoa and Cocoa Touch frameworks, and the Swift programming language make developing apps easier and more fun than ever before.
Xcode includes the Xcode IDE, Swift and Objective-C compilers, Instruments analysis tool, iOS Simulator, the latest OS X and iOS SDKs, and hundreds of powerful features:
Innovative tools help you create great apps
• Swift is a revolutionary new programming language that is safe, fast, and modern
• Playgrounds are a fun place to experiment with Swift code, displaying instant results
• Interface Builder is a graphical UI design canvas with a live preview of your app
• View debugging shows a 3D stack of all your app's UI view layers at runtime
• Assistant editors show content related to your primary task
• Live Issues display errors as you type, and Fix-it can correct the mistakes for you
Swift is an all new programming language for Cocoa and Cocoa Touch
• Safe by design, Swift syntax and features prevent entire categories of bugs
• Fast code execution and compile time are powered by the proven LLVM compiler
• Modern language features are inspired by leading research, including:
- Closures unified with function pointers
- Tuples and multiple return values
- Structs as value types that support methods, extensions, protocols
- Functional programming patterns including map and filter
Interface Builder makes it easy to design your interface without code
• Storyboards let you arrange the complete flow of screens within your app
• See your custom controls rendered live within the design canvas
• Preview your interface in different screen sizes, orientations, or languages
• Create connections from your GUI design directly to the related source code
Professional editor and debugger keep your code front and center
• Hit a few keys and Open Quickly will instantly open any file within your project
• Message bubbles show errors, warnings, and other issues right beside your code
• Data tips show a variable's value by hovering your mouse over the code
• Quick Look variables while debugging to see the actual color, bezier path, image, and more
Apple LLVM technology finds and fixes bugs for you
• Analyzer travels countless code paths looking for logical errors before they become bugs
• Live Issues underlines coding mistakes as you type with no need to build first
• Fix-it can confidently correct mistakes for you with just a keystroke
Test driven development is built right in
• Use the Test Navigator to add, edit, or run tests with just a click
• Test Assistant makes it easy to edit your code and related tests, side-by-side
• Create continuous integration bots using OS X Server to automatically build and test your apps
• Monitor performance test data using OS X Server to immediately spot regressions
Instruments makes performance analysis beautiful
• Compare CPU, disk, memory, and OpenGL performance as graphical tracks over time
• Identify performance bottlenecks, then dive deep into the code to uncover the cause
• Monitor your app directly, or sample the entire system, with very little overhead
To test or deploy applications on an iOS device you must be a member of Apple's iOS Developer Program. To submit your Mac or iOS apps to the App Store you must be a member of the Mac or iOS Developer Program. Continuous integration features require a current version of OS X Server. Some features may require Internet access.
What's New in Version 6.3.1
Xcode 6.3.1 improves stability and fixes critical issues in playgrounds, debugging, and Interface Builder
Xcode 6.3 includes Swift 1.2 and SDKs for OS X 10.10 Yosemite and iOS 8.3
New in Swift 1.2:
• Incremental builds dramatically improve the compile time of Swift projects
• Swift compiler produces even faster executables for both debug and release builds
• Language refinements to 'let' and 'as' make Swift more consistent and clear
• Standard library adds powerful features including the 'Set' data type and 'flatMap' operation
• Code converter and Fix-its help you migrate to Swift 1.2
Additional features in Xcode 6.3:
• Playgrounds are more attractive and readable with rich text formatting and results displayed in-line
• Playgrounds can embed additional code and resources to improve performance and simplify sharing
• Updated OS X SDK includes support for the new Force Touch trackpad
• Crashes organizer makes it easy to triage and fix crashes for App Store and TestFlight apps
• Apple LLVM compiler 6.1 improves diagnostic messages and adds support for C++'14
Can not connect to SVN
Xcode 6.3 is very slow now.. Everytime I update to new Xcode, it becomes slower and slower.
Also, I am not able to connect to SVN repository using Xcode. It always gives me error, can not connect to SVN (from Xcode 6+). I used to connect SVN via Xcode. Adding new features is breaking old features that are very important for us. We do not need new UI and sounds, but we need stable features. Please fix those issues.
It is so freaking slow… Masting so much of my time.
Ok, I’ve delt with a lot of buggy XCode updates, but in the past at least they came with some new functionality or things that made general development easier. After updating to XCode 6.3, build time has skyrocketed from 2 min to about 10, and even longer when debugging on a real device. This is just unacceptable. If there’s going to be signifcant changes under the hood, they should be making things run faster not slower.
IB painfully slow now
Not every time but most of the time I switch to Interface Builder in one of my complex UI apps, Xcode slows to the point of being unusable. Think this started happening in 6.x some time ago. I have come to DREAD switching over to IB.
Please stop adding new languages / playgrounds / auto layouts / storyboards / etc. until you correct some of these serious issues