Xequence is a highly professional, fast & stable MIDI sequencer, arranger & controller for iPhone & iPad.
NOTE: This app does not produce any sound! It controls OTHER apps or hardware via MIDI!
- Efficient User Interface for an amazing mobile editing workflow
- Full support for scales and scale-based editing throughout the app (keyboard, pianoroll, etc.)
- Over 70 scales in 10 categories included
- Full Audiobus support
- Ableton Link
- MIDI File Import & Export (notes, controllers, program changes, track names, etc.)
- Extremely tight MIDI timing and clock output
- MIDI In & Thru with re-channelization & re-routing to currently selected instrument
- MIDI Sync Master (Clock/Start/Stop/Continue/SPP) - other DAWs & sequencers can run in sync with Xequence, e.g. to use audio tracks, or an external drum machine. Several modes for full compatibility
- Works perfectly with e.g. AUM / Gadget as hosts / sound generators, drum sequencers like Ruismaker, or Beatmaker 2 for synced audio tracks
- Unlimited Parts
- Up to 4 tracks (Unlimited Tracks via In-App Purchase)
- 64 Undo/Redo steps
- Per-track non-destructive Swing & Delay +/- 200 ms
- Any track can be routed to any Instrument
- Parts can be independent or linked (editing the original modifies all copies)
- Part-based looping
- Program changes
- Selection tools: Marquee/Rectangle, Same Track, Same Instrument, Linked Parts, Invert, etc.
- Editing tools: Create Copy, Create Linked Copy, Unlink, Split, Join, Convert loops to parts, etc.
- All edits can be performed across multiple tracks and parts
- Global clipboard, even across projects
- Position/Length Handles at screen edges for efficient editing
- 256 Undo/Redo steps
- Fully scale-aware
- Relative or absolute grid: Snap Events to nearest grid line, or move by grid increments
- Live Auditioning of all edits and mini keyboard keys on the left
- Selection tools: Marquee/Rectangle, Same Note, Same Key, Same Beat Position, Invert, etc.
- Editing tools: Copy, Legato, Quantize, Quantize Ends, Octave +/-, Flip H/V (mirror), Fill part with selection
- Smart Draw mode: Touch to create, touch again to delete, drag up/down to transpose, drag left/right to change length
- Global clipboard, even across projects
- Note velocities can be edited just like controllers, see below:
- 256 Undo/Redo steps
- Selection tools: Marquee/Rectangle, Same Beat Position, Invert
- Selection modes: Add & Replace
- Editing tools: Copy, Reduce, Quantize, Compress/Expand, Flip H/V (mirror), Ramp (various curves), Fill part with selection
- Smart Draw mode
- Note Velocities can be shown as controllers and edited with the same tools
KEYBOARD / CONTROLLER:
- Fully scale-aware, very playable single or dual keyboards
- Glide support
- Freely adjustable key width
- Velocity emulation (via vertical position on key)
- Drum maps and pads, highly customizable (In-App Purchase)
- CCs (controllers) can be shown as touch ribbons next to the keyboard
- All CCs can be controlled by sliding (ribbon), device rotation (up to three axes simultaneously), played like a button (sustain pedal, "trance gates"), or by touching the keys at different vertical positions. All highly configurable.
- Unlimited Instruments (an Instrument is a MIDI destination & channel)
- 3 definable CCs (Controllers) per Instrument (up to 12 via In-App Purchase)
- Compatible with virtually ALL synths and hosts
- Audio & MIDI Metronome
- Note chasing (notes play even when playback starts in the middle)
- Robust controller (CC) handling with backchasing
- Perfect song looping, no dropouts/jitter at loop points
- Supports any time signature/BPM (fixed per song)
- Generative music with PolyHymnia (In-App Purchase)
- Files app support
- Ruler (can be set to auto-hide to preserve screen space)
- Bright or dark color scheme
Please report any issues via our website, we provide quick and comprehensive support!
- Allow multiple simultaneous connections to/from Bluetooth MIDI devices.
- Prevent Pianoroll Draw Mode from creating notes outside the part.
- Fix rare crash when exporting MIDI file with events that occur before the first bar.
- Fix wrong display of number of active MIDI inputs in "Sources" panel when Audiobus was connected as a source.
COMPLETE AUDIOBUS 3 SUPPORT:
- SIDEBAR: Audiobus sidebar for switching between connected apps, with access to all Xequence transport controls (Play, Stop (the Rewind icon) and Record) from any other Audiobus app.
- SYNCHRONIZATION: Full synchronization (Start, Stop, Tempo, Phase). Please note that Ableton Link has to be enabled in Xequence, all participating apps, and Audiobus.
- MIDI OUT: 16 Audiobus MIDI Out ports for connecting up to 16 Xequence instruments to 16 separate Audiobus MIDI lanes or apps. Displays connected apps' names inside Xequence.
- COMPATIBILITY NOTE: Some apps hosted in Audiobus as a MIDI receiver might not work correctly due to implementation issues in these apps. In these cases, please send the MIDI directly to the app (do not put the target app on Audiobus' MIDI screen. Instead, put it as a source on the Audio screen and select the app itself as the MIDI Destination on Xequence's instruments screen). This problem can only be fixed by the receiver app developers.
- MIDI IN: Audiobus MIDI In port for recording the MIDI output of other Audiobus apps. (all input will currently be merged to a single track, i.e. multitrack MIDI recording is not yet supported, but will be in a future update.)
- MIDI THRU: Xequence's usual MIDI Thru will also work inside Audiobus, passing whatever is received from the MIDI lane OR from any other source selected in Xequence's settings to the current track's instrument, which can be an Audiobus destination, hardware, OR another app.
- STATE SAVING AND RESTORE: Xequence will save the current project, including all modifications done since the last save, in the Audiobus preset, and restore it when a preset is recalled.
- MIDI MERGE: Xequence merges all MIDI input both from the Audiobus lane AND any other MIDI sources, both hardware and software, and can record it or send it to the current track's instrument (MIDI Thru).
- Please note that Audiobus MIDI and State Saving still are very new and evolving technologies, and you may encounter issues which are caused by problems in third-party apps. However, please do let us know if you have a problem that you suspect might be due to a Xequence bug, and we're happy to investigate!
- MIDI Input has been cleaned up: The "Any" source has been replaced by "Xequence Destination" and can be enabled alongside the other available sources. To send MIDI to "Xequence Destination", most apps have a menu that will list "Xequence Destination" so you can send to it. Of course, the other way around (Xequence actively connects to other sources) is still available by enabling one of the other sources in the "Select MIDI sources" panel.
- Better contrast for instrument colors in "Light" theme.
- Pianoroll: When switching between note and velocity editing, scroll and zoom are now preserved.
- Various optimizations.
- Pianoroll: Fix vertical scrolling of keys on the left sometimes not in sync with scroll position of editor.
- Pianoroll: Fix slightly wrong vertical zoom in Drum editor mode when using "Zoom All" with the ruler enabled and "Ruler Auto-Dismiss" disabled.
- Keyboard: Fix sliders with "Return" option sometimes not returning to their zero position.
Ratings and Reviews
At last!! A professional sequencer
At last!! A professional sequencer that supports the iPhone as well as the iPad!!!! This thing is awesome!!! It is a work of art!! Even with a small iPhone screen, it is easy to use. Everything is well laid out. Having worked with MIDI before, I didn’t even need to look in the manual!! Music beginners do note, however, this is a midi sequencer. It is a professional tool. You will also need a MIDI instrument in order to hear sound from it. I mention this, because I worry that newbies who don’t understand what they are buying will get frustrated or upset and give poor ratings because they don’t understand how midi sequencers work—this is the real thing—not a toy!! Very full featured!! This app is one of the best things to come along in a long time to the iOS music-making community. 5 Stars!!!
With midi import export implemented this is my favorite workstation. Stable, easy to use.
I do wish however we could grab midi files directly from drive or Dropbox, it’s been very frustrating trying to bounce midi files all the way to the device itself sometimes at the end of the process they are greyed out in the files ap so I can’t copy them to xequence folder. So please just let us import from Dropbox soon.
Thanks, we know that this was a highly sought-after feature and we tried to fit it in as soon as possible (the app was first released only three months ago!). So, glad to see everything's sorted for you now.
Buy this. This sequencer does what others don't. I paired this with Korg Gadget and now have everything I need to make iOS music.
Most other iOS DAW software has one fatal flaw: the sequencer. Enter Xequence. This works like a desktop DAW, and integrates with just about any software you can imagine, giving you the freedom to create music as you go, rather than trying to learn the quirks of your app.
Read the manual and learn how to turn your iPad into a music creation operating system. AUM and Audiobus combine to give you options that FINALLY allow you to use all your apps to full advantage.
Spend the bucks and buy the in app purchase of unlimited tracks.
Easy, sensible and powerful, worth every penny.
- Seven Systems Cross-Platform Media Limited
- 9.6 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Seven Systems Cross-Platform Media Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Drum Maps $2.99
- PolyHymnia - Generative Music $2.99
- Unlimited tracks $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.