Xequence is a highly professional, fast & stable MIDI sequencer, arranger & controller for iPhone & iPad.
NOTE: This app is intended for use by enthusiasts & professionals. It does not make any sound / music by itself!
- Efficient User Interface for an amazing mobile editing workflow
- Full support for scales and scale-based editing throughout the app (keyboard, pianoroll, etc.)
- Over 70 scales in 10 categories included
- Full Audiobus support
- Ableton Link (tempo and phase only - use Audiobus for start/stop sync)
- MIDI File Import & Export (notes, controllers, program changes, track names, etc.)
- Best-in-class MIDI timing and clock output
- MIDI In & Thru with rechannelization & rerouting to current track
- MIDI Sync Master (Clock/Start/Stop/Continue/SPP) - other DAWs & sequencers can run in sync with Xequence, e.g. to use audio tracks, or external drum machines. Several modes for full compatibility
- Works perfectly with e.g. AUM / Gadget as hosts / sound generators, drum sequencers like Ruismaker, or BM2 for synced audio tracks
- Unlimited Parts
- Up to 4 tracks (Unlimited Tracks via In-App Purchase)
- 64 Undo/Redo steps
- Per-track non-destructive Swing & Delay +/- 200 ms
- Multiple tracks per instrument
- Parts can be independent or linked (editing the original modifies all copies)
- Part-based looping
- Program changes
- Selection tools: Marquee/Rectangle, Same Track, Same Instrument, Linked Parts, Invert, etc.
- Editing tools: Create Copy, Create Linked Copy, Unlink, Split, Join, Convert loops to parts, etc.
- All edits can be performed across multiple tracks and parts
- Global clipboard, even across projects
- Position/Length Handles at screen edges for efficient editing
- 256 Undo/Redo steps
- Fully scale-aware
- Relative or absolute grid: Snap Events to nearest grid line, or move by grid increments
- Live Auditioning of all note edits and mini keyboard on the left
- Selection tools: Box, Same Note, Same Key, Same Beat Position, Invert, etc.
- Editing tools: Copy, Legato, Quantize, Quantize Ends, Octave +/-, Flip H/V (mirror), Fill part with selection
- Smart Draw mode: Touch to create, touch again to delete, drag up/down to transpose, drag left/right to change length
- Global clipboard, even across projects
- Note velocities can be edited just like controllers, see below:
- 256 Undo/Redo steps
- Selection tools: Box, Same Beat Position, Invert
- Selection modes: Add & Replace
- Editing tools: Copy, Reduce, Quantize, Compress/Expand, Flip H/V (mirror), Ramp (various curves), Fill part with selection
- Smart Draw mode
- Note Velocities can be shown as controllers and edited with the same tools
KEYBOARD / CONTROLLER:
- Fully scale-aware, very playable single or dual keyboards
- Glide support
- Freely adjustable key width
- Velocity emulation (via vertical position on key)
- Drum maps and pads, highly customizable (In-App Purchase)
- CCs (controllers) can be shown as touch ribbons next to the keyboard
- All CCs can be controlled by sliding (ribbon), device rotation (up to three axes simultaneously), played like a button (sustain pedal, "trance gates"), or by touching the keys at different vertical positions. All highly configurable.
- Unlimited Instruments (an Instrument is a MIDI destination & channel)
- 3 definable CCs (Controllers) per Instrument (up to 12 via In-App Purchase)
- Compatible with virtually ALL synths and hosts
- Audio & MIDI Metronome
- Note chasing (notes play even when playback starts in the middle)
- Robust controller (CC) handling with backchasing
- Perfect song looping, no dropouts/jitter at loop points
- Supports any time signature/BPM (fixed per song)
- Generative music with PolyHymnia (In-App Purchase)
- Files app support
- Ruler (can be set to auto-hide to preserve screen space)
- Bright or dark color scheme
Please report any issues via our website, we provide quick and comprehensive support!
- Enabled auto-adding of controllers during Multitrack recording.
- Fix transport toolbar layout glitch on 4" iPhones with Panic Button enabled.
- Fix various quirks related to controllers.
- Fix MIDI In LED staying off while controllers were received.
- Stability improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Probably the best pure MIDI sequencer on iOS
Xequence is a terrific MIDI sequencer and it’s only continued to improve over time. While the piano roll UI and note editing isn’t necessarily my favorite, all of the functionality is here, and it’s my preferred app for sequencing external gear. It has proven much less buggy than alternatives like Modstep, and many of the would-be competitors have fallen off to the side and become abandonware.
Some of the IAP’s and added features make it even more interesting - there’s a options to set up drum pads or different scales for particular sequences. And there’s a pattern generator (Polyhymnia, I believe it is called) that will generate random musical passages within parameters that you set (scale, note range, intensity, etc.). It works surprisingly well. It can be a little tricky to get everything mapped together and running, but all the functionality is there, and it’s an excellent MIDI sequencer.
At last!! A professional sequencer
At last!! A professional sequencer that supports the iPhone as well as the iPad!!!! This thing is awesome!!! It is a work of art!! Even with a small iPhone screen, it is easy to use. Everything is well laid out. Having worked with MIDI before, I didn’t even need to look in the manual!! Music beginners do note, however, this is a midi sequencer. It is a professional tool. You will also need a MIDI instrument in order to hear sound from it. I mention this, because I worry that newbies who don’t understand what they are buying will get frustrated or upset and give poor ratings because they don’t understand how midi sequencers work—this is the real thing—not a toy!! Very full featured!! This app is one of the best things to come along in a long time to the iOS music-making community. 5 Stars!!!
Rock Solid and Best Piano Roll on iOS
I have a hard time with sequencers in iOS. Compared to a computer and mouse, the touch interface is just really difficult for entering notes into a piano roll type interface. Developers have come up with many ways to try to make it useful, but frankly I struggle with all of them ... until Xequence came along that is. Xequence was designed first to be useful on an iPhone. The developer managed to come up with something that not only works, but shines! Once you get used to the way it works, there is nothing better, faster, and more accurate than this on iOS.
The app is rock solid. Yes, since it makes no sound itself, you do have to understand how to send it’s midi output to the apps you want to use. So, setup is more involved than just doing everything in a DAW. To me the extra effort is worth it. Ymmv.
Xequence now fully supports AudioBus 3, and for me this has made it the cornerstone of my music making setup. It is just so fluid to set up and to instantly save and restore where you left off. I can’t say enough good about this combination!
Thanks so much for this GREAT app.
- Seven Systems Cross-Platform Media Limited
- 5.5 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Seven Systems Cross-Platform Media Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Drum Maps $2.99
- Unlimited tracks $9.99
- PolyHymnia - Generative Music $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.