Xynthesizr: 32-step matrix sequencer/synthesizer
By Yuri Turov
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Xynthesizr is a streamlined yet capable 32-step matrix sequencer/monotimbral synthesizer with generative features and MIDI.
"This really is a lot of fun and, hooked up to a synth like Thor or Z3TA+, there are plenty of creative options to be explored here." - John Walden, musicappblog.com
"Xynthesizr is about the only tone matrix app that can keep up with my short attention span. There are so many ways to shape, and constantly reshape, your sound... There's a lot to play with here!" - Tim Webb, discchord.com
"Overall, Xynthesizr is a very interesting instrument that is fun to play and lovely to look at." - Tom Flint, Sound on Sound
"Xynthesizr holds a lot of creative potential, and between a user friendly interface, a practical onboard synth, inspiring generative features, and solid MIDI implementation, this is a useful tool that can really benefit a wide range of iOS musicians." - Chip Boaz, iosmusicandyou.com
"...one of my absolute go-to apps" - Sean Garland, iosmars.com
Create patterns and modify them in real time, or let Xynthesizr do it for you using its morphing algorithms. Change scale and key, or transpose within a scale on-the-fly. Tweak parameters of the internal synthesizer or output MIDI to your favorite apps and devices. Record and share your creations.
◦ MIDI support for syncing and sending notes to synths, samplers and drum machines
◦ Notes to MIDI channel mapping for driving multiple apps or devices simultaneously
◦ MIDI input to control transposition with note messages and synthesizer/sequencer parameters with CC messages
◦ Ableton Link support
◦ Audiobus 3 support
◦ Inter-App Audio support
◦ 40+ bundled presets
◦ Save, export and import your own patterns and presets
◦ Record and export audio via AudioCopy, AudioShare, SoundCloud®, Mail and iTunes file sharing
◦ Gestures to easily edit patterns on-the-fly
◦ [Conway's Game of] Life-like cellular automata and probability-based pattern morphing
◦ Limit pattern morphing to a selected area of the grid
◦ Variable tempo, step length subdivision and pattern length
◦ Variable velocity per step
◦ Selectable keys and scales with ability to transpose in real time
◦ An option to tie consecutive notes of same pitch to make longer notes
◦ Shift and flip patterns
◦ Create and use your own scales and Life-like cellular automata rules
◦ Color-coded octaves
Synthesizer and FX feature:
◦ 32-bit floating point sound engine
◦ 16 voice polyphony
◦ 2 antialiased oscillators per voice
◦ 4 waveforms (sine, triangle, sawtooth, square)
◦ 4-pole (24 dB/oct) low-pass resonant filter
◦ 2 ADSR envelope generators (amplitude and filter cutoff frequency)
◦ 2 LFOs to modulate 4 selectable LFO targets (filter frequency, pitch, amplitude, second oscillator detune)
◦ Stereo delay, reverb and randomized panner
What's New in Version 1.5
◦ Ableton Link support
◦ Audiobus 3 support (including AB MIDI)
◦ Added an on/off switch for Inter-App Audio tempo synchronization
◦ Added an option to have notes labeled as MIDI note numbers (e.g. 60 instead of C4; see app settings)
◦ Extra note labels on step 17 (iPhone)
◦ Now adding asterisk to song and preset names instead of displaying as ‘(Unsaved’) when changes happen
◦ Settings and MIDI Settings dialogs can now be closed by tapping outside their ‘windows’
◦ New About screen
◦ Updated user guide
◦ Updated AudioShare SDK
◦ Fixed timing irregularity on playback start when using internal clock
◦ Fixed a crash when an input MIDI note is out of range in scalar transposition mode
◦ Fixed MIDI CC control over OSC and LFO waveform, OSC octave, LFO destination, step length controls (it would jump to the first value regardless of CC value)
◦ Fixed a bug where the sound engine wouldn’t turn on (i.e. make sound, despite the switch being in the ‘on’ position), if the app was launched with it off
◦ Fixed some app lifecycle management issues when in IAA or AB session (this should fix the lost sound issue some experienced)
◦ Fixed an issue where the squares in the first grid column could not be selected with 3D Touch enabled
◦ Fixed a bug in song/preset select mode where checkmarks would be displayed incorrectly when scrolling the table
◦ Fixed pattern shift down button malfunctioning on some devices
◦ Various other fixes and improvements
Excellent Midi Sequencer...
...With a a brilliant synth engine. This is now permanent on my AUM set up to trigger other synth. I love the multiple channels and the randomizer feature.
*Update brought Ableton link 🙌🏿 . Best thing ever.
- 128 steps
- pattern bank (to trigger for live performances)
- When playing and switching to another app (AUM, iSEM) and I switch back to change a parameter during live performance, the sequence stops (obviously a vibe killer). Am I doing something wrong?
- In the Midi options there are 22 colors and channels, how can I actually access them to create patters? Am I missing something?
Anyway, keep up the great work.
I like it for working out ideas.
I use this (or Troublemaker) for MIDI Input in AudioBus3. The randomly morphing patterns is a useful feature.
- Category: Music
- Updated: Jul 09, 2017
- Version: 1.5
- Size: 17.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Yuri Turov
- © 2013 Yuri Turov
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.