By Zev Clementson
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Yiddish Bible application is designed for reading/studying the Yiddish Bible in either Yiddish or in a parallel format combining Yiddish and another language (at present, either English, Hebrew, or YIVO transcription). It is also useful as a tool for improving one's knowledge of Yiddish. It is comprised of the following components:
1. Bible: The Yiddish Bible is accessible in several different versions (Yiddish, Yiddish/English, Yiddish/Hebrew, and Yiddish/YIVO-transcription) and it is easy to switch between versions by pressing a button while viewing the Bible text. All versions are resident on the device and no Internet access is required to view the texts.
In additon to a "Book"-based reading approach, it is possible to also toggle to a "Parashah"-based approach (a Parashah is the weekly synagogue Torah/Haftarah reading).
2. Words: This is useful for learning more about specific Yiddish words and for discovering related words. The words tab provides 2-letter dictionary lookup, search, translate, and Harkavy dictionary functionality.
3. Topics: There are links to key topics (over 200 people/places/things) in the Wikipedia online encyclopedia. One can access topics by Book/Meta/Alphabetical Topic.
4. Maps: There are maps of almost every location (over 1,000 locations) mentioned in the Yiddish Bible By selecting a location on the map and touching the "callout detail disclosure" symbol (the "right arrow"), one can see a listing of all verses in the Yiddish Bible that mention that location.
The Application Web Site has more details on functionality.
What's New in Version 2.3
Updated for iOS 7.
Minor bug fixes and enhancements.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 07, 2013
- Version: 2.3
- Size: 25.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Zev Clementson
- © 2012 Clementson Consulting
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.