Simple, slick word processing app to create and edit documents, and collaborate on them with your friends. Sync docs across devices and access them wherever you go.
Writer is carefully designed to create a clean, blank paper-esque writing experience across your smartphone, tablet and computer. And it's free forever!
Collaborate with your team
- Join discussions, even when you're away from your desk. Add your thoughts to documents, reply to friends' comments, or just appreciate them by clicking "like."
Work with multiple formats
- Import and edit your existing Microsoft Word documents. Take stories off your world by exporting it as an MS Word, PDF, ODT, HTML, or TXT file.
Get access to the full-blown web version
- One of the best advantages of using Writer is that it features a powerful word processor on the web. It's incredibly easy to jot down notes on the move, and continue working on it on the web when you're back to your desk.
Create beautiful looking documents
- Format your documents. Add images, tables, and more.
- Apart from a "Make available offline" option, 20 of your most recent documents will available offline by default too!
Forget saving documents
- Forget clicking save, and manual back up. Your changes are saved and synced across all your devices as you make them.
What's stopping you now? Get started. Write away!
The handy Page Preview option—which gives you a desktop view of your documents—gets some important updates:
- View comments and scroll-through them individually.
- Tap on links and bookmarks to navigate to them.
We've also squashed some bugs, improving the overall performance.
Ratings and Reviews
Good but needs a feature or two
I actually really like this idea, being able to type up a document and know that it will still be there no matter what happens to the data on my local device. Writer is one of a few good options out there. However, writer lacks some features.
Writer lacks the nice spacing on either side of the text, the left and right margins. Many other note taking and word apps nicely highlight the text via those margins. Even Zoho docs does it, so why not this app? They need to give it more of a page feel in my opinion or at least have this as an option.
Then there is search. I would like to be able to search within my documents. It is easier to find content this way. Right now it appears to only be able to search file names.
Last but not least, it would be nice to be able to multi-select items within this app to send them all to another app or drive. Far too many apps lack this very basic feature and it would be very worth while to add it to writer.
Besides these missing features though it is a good alternative to Google docs. Keep up the good work!
Great look, too many problems
Most concerning is that when I use my microphone to input text, sometimes the text disappears. This has happened several times in the course of the last half an hour since I downloaded the app, so I am going to get rid of my account because it’s just not usable for me.
Also: less concerning but slightly time-consuming it is the fact that every time I navigate away from the screen, it has to reload my document.
And finally, I couldn’t figure out if there was a “select all” option. I saw cut and basic select, but for my work, “select all” is a must-have capability. Maybe I’m just silly couldn’t figure it out, but that played a small role in my decision to stop using this app.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for letting us know your feedback, Christy. Firstly, you should be able to work with microphone input without any difficulty in between. Same is the case with syncing your docs. We would like to get to the bottom of both these issues. If you don't mind, can you drop us a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org ? Sincere apologies for the inconveniences these issues would've caused. We'd love to have you back on board.
Good idea but doesn’t work yet
I’m on a paid account. The service concept is similar to Google’s Docs but doesn’t work as well.
In the app: documents can only be viewed in icon view. C’mon, 1984 is long gone. Where are the lists views? Sort by name, date, type, etc.
Search function searches only file names, not file contents.
Cannot save files into a new Folder.
Cannot delete files.
Cannot share files into another Zoho app, eg: Projects
Typeface changes randomly after a server error.
Cannot tell which changes have been saved and which one not saved since last auto-save.
I experience constant “connection interrupted” and “server errors”. Each forces a page reload which dumps all changes since the last auto-save. Very annoying.
(Is this me, my China connection, or Zoho’s servers?)
Update, October 2018
Zoho Customer service is responsive; they try hard to solve Customer complaints.
My “connection interrupted”issues persist. This must be caused by my internet connection; the Service provider is called _Great Wall_ after all.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for trying Writer, and writing to us.
1. List view was removed from the app recently, after the newly launched design-overhaul of the app. We had taken a step back from adding more features to the app, making sure we're perfecting the design and experience first. That being said, we're almost ready with list view, along with sorting, filtering and move to folder options . Should be available along with one of our upcoming updates. :)
2. Our team's looking into the possibilities of having a content search as well, which works both online and offline. Will let you know as soon as it's ready.
3. You can delete a document by swiping right on the document thumbnail, and tapping on the delete icon. It's also available within the editor. Click on the three dots icon on the bottom right corner and choose "Delete document".
4. You can share docs to other apps as well. Choose the "Share via Link" option to directly post the document link to other Zoho apps.
5. Writer saves your edits as you type them. Even if it's just a single character. :) Regarding the server errors, we assume you tried using the app during an unfortunate service outage that lasted for a couple of hours. This affected our users across multiple platforms, and we sincerly aplogize for the inconvenience the outage would've caused you.
Hope this helps. Please drop us a mail at email@example.com if you're still facing
issues with the app. Thanks much! :)
- Zoho Corporation
- 77.5 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Lithuanian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019, Zoho Corporation Pvt. Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.