An Introduction To Improvising
The Savvy Guide To...
This book is available for download with Apple Books on your Mac or iOS device. Multi-touch books can be read with Apple Books on your Mac or iOS device. Books with interactive features may work best on an iOS device. Apple Books on your Mac requires OS X 10.9 or later.
Drawing on his years of experience teaching improvisation to adult learners, school children and music conservatoire students Buster Birch presents a simple a step by step guide to developing the skills required for improvising. As well as clear instruction and a logical pathway these books include many practical exercises, which are tried and tested methods, with notation and audio play-along files embedded directly in to the book.
The Savvy Guide To... series of music tuition books are meant for…
• Musicians who have little or no experience with improvising and do not know where to start.
• Musicians who have some experience of improvising but want a less “hit and miss” approach.
• Music teachers who want to include improvisation in their lessons, but have little experience in how to teach it.
The first in The Savvy Guide To... series is “An Introduction To Improvising“ which is written for any musicians on any instrument interested in learning how to learn to improvise. Unlike a lot of other available material on this subject it isn’t just about the theory. It is about the process of learning and provides a series of practical exercises that break down, what can feel like for some, a huge leap in to small manageable steps. It is a tried and tested practical method that gives the student the confidence to improvise and not get lost in the form.
What is presented here in this iBook is exactly the process he would use for his “Introduction to Improvising” series of workshops, which usually involves 3 one hour sessions. This material could also be used for any students of any age who are new to improvising. Within this book is a tried and tested step-by-step method with all of the exercises and routines transposed for Concert Pitch, Bass Clef, Bb Pitch and Eb Pitch, which covers virtually every instrument. All of the audio examples and backing tracks are embedded, enabling students to work alone (for individual practice) or in a group setting. With everything that is included here almost any music teacher could to deliver the workshops and achieve the same success with helping their students to begin to improvise with confidence and understanding.
• Ear Training exercises
• Learning the Minor Pentatonic Scale
• Question & Answer phrasing
• Play-along backing tracks in different styles and tempos to practice the improvisation techniques taught in the book
• Composition. Use the same technique to compose your own 12 bar blues
• Learn an arrangement of an original composition and solo over the form, with backing track included.
• All exercises includes notation and audio tracks in Concert Pitch, Bb Pitch, Eb Pitch and Bass Clef
Vocalists interested in scat singing and all instruments including: Piano, Organ, Guitar, Vibraphone, Flute, Violin, Viola, Cello, Oboe, Bassoon, Bass Guitar, Double Bass, Trombone, Trumpet, Cornet, Flugelhorn, Tenor Sax, Soprano Sax, Clarinet, Alto Sax, Baritone Sax.