Answering the Contemplative Call
First Steps on the Mystical Path
This book can be downloaded and read in Apple Books on your Mac or iOS device.
The mystical path is not some sort of static experience for the select few, says Carl McColman, rather, it is a living tradition, a rich and many-layered dimension of spirituality that is in large measure a quest to find the mysteries at the heart of the universe, paradoxically nestled within the heart of your own soul.
McColman first introduced readers to Christianity’s lost mystical roots in his popular book, The Big Book of Christian Mysticism. Now McColman is back with Answering the Contemplative Call, to show readers how to apply the riches of the mystical tradition to daily living.
This book is organized in three sections:
• “Recognizing the Call,” Explores how each one of us is called to the mystical life, and what that might look like.
• “Preparing for the Journey,” shows what we need to do in response to the contemplative call.
• “Embarking on the Adventure” considers what those first steps on the path might look like.
Along the way McColman quotes from the great mystics of the Christian tradition who have also traveled this path, including Teresa of Avila, Thomas Merton, Evelyn Underhill and more.
In Answering the Contemplative Call, McColman offers a practice that will help readers come to a place meaning and purpose in their lives.
Carl McColman is a Lay Cistercian, spiritual teacher and retreat leader. He is the author of a number of books, including The Big Book of Christian Mysticism. He lives in Stone Mountain, GA. Visit him online at www.anamchara.com.
From Publishers Weekly
© Publishers Weekly
- Category: Christianity
- Published: Feb 01, 2013
- Publisher: Hampton Roads Publishing
- Seller: Red Wheel Weiser, LLC
- Print Length: 192 Pages
- Language: English