Book 4, Early Myths - Early Myths: Kids Books on Greek Myth
Dr. Simon Spence
This book is available for download with Apple Books on your Mac or iOS device. Multi-touch books can be read with Apple Books on your Mac or iOS device. Books with interactive features may work best on an iOS device. Apple Books on your Mac requires OS X 10.9 or later.
**Winner of silver medal at the Moonbeam Children's Book Awards**
Atalanta is the fourth book in the Early Myths collection, a series of children's picture books on Greek myth. Each book covers a character from mythology and brings the tale to life through illustrations and story-telling, with inspiration from ancient art and literature. The books are aimed at 4 to 10 year olds, are beautifully designed and easy to read.
Atalanta is the story of a young girl who does not want to be married off to a local prince, and instead heads off into the forest to live with the animals. She learns to hunt, run, and take on all that nature throws at her, becoming one of the best of the heroes. She takes on the strongest of the men- and wins! When she does agree to find a partner she challenges the other heroes to be her equal and meets a person who respects her skills and ability. But can he convince her that he is her true love?
For teachers and parents, we have a notes section at the back, describing how our illustrations have been inspired by ancient Greek vase-painting, sculptures, and early literature. The kids don’t need to know this aspect to enjoy the tale, but the grown-ups can learn about how we have taken time and care to construct our book, using the early historical sources, rather than simply repeat a generic version of the myth.
Awards for our Early Myths collection:
- Perseus: bronze medal winner at the Moonbeam Children's Book Awards 2014
- Odysseus: honourable mention at the Royal Dragonfly Book Awards 2015
- Odysseus: finalist in the Wishing Shelf Book Awards 2015
- Atalanta: silver medal at the Moonbeam Children's Book Awards 2016
- Atalanta: honourable mention at Purple Dragonfly Book Awards 2016
- Atalanta: finalist at the Readers' Favorite Awards 2016
- Herakles: 1st prize for illustrations and 6+ picture book at the Dragonfly Books Awards 2017
- Herakles: gold award at the Royal Dragonfly Book Awards 2017
- Herakles: silver medalist in the Wishing Shelf Children’s Books Awards 2017
- Theseus: best illustrations at Purple Dragonfly Book Awards 2018
- Theseus: honourable Mention in Picture Books (5 and younger category) at the Purple Dragonfly Book Awards 2018
What's New in Version 1.5
Version 1.5: improved audio, sounds and narrator slideshow. Plus new “Some interesting notes for grown-ups…” section.
Awesome images and story
My goddaughter loved this- amazing story for kids aged around 6. The sounds are really cute too. Definitely get the iBooks version and not the version on other stores.
- Level: Grades 1-2
- Category: Fairy Tales, Myths & Fables
- Published: Dec 01, 2015
- Publisher: Early Myths
- Seller: Simon Spence
- Print Length: 16 Pages
- Language: English
- Series: Book 4, Early Myths
- Version: 1.5