Exploring the Language of Drama
From Text to Context
Jonathan Culpeper and Others
This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device, and with iTunes on your computer. Books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device.
Exploring the Language of Drama introduces students to the stylistic analysis of drama. Written in an engaging and accessible style, the contributors use techniques of language analysis, particularly from discourse analysis, cognitive linguistics and pragmatics, to explore the language of plays.
The contributors demonstrate the validity of analysing the text of a play, as opposed to focusing on performance. Divided into four broad, yet interconnecting groups, the chapters:
* open up some of the basic mechanisms of conversation and show how they are used in dramatic dialogue
* look at how discourse analysis and pragmatic theories can be used to help us understand characterization in dialogue
* consider some of the cognitive patterns underlying dramatic discourse
* focus on the notion of speech as action.
there is also a chapter on how to analyse an extract from a play and write up an assignment.
- Category: Language Arts & Disciplines
- Published: Jan 08, 2002
- Publisher: Taylor and Francis
- Seller: Taylor & Francis Group
- Print Length: 192 Pages
- Language: English