Guide to the Temples of Khajuraho
India Travel Guide
Approach Guides and Others
This book can be downloaded and read in Apple Books on your Mac or iOS device.
RECENTLY UPDATED FOR 2017! With more than 50 high-resolution images, floorplans and detailed temple profiles, this is the definitive travel guide to Khajuraho in India.
The magnificent 10th-12th century Hindu temples of Khajuraho — with their soaring towers and engaging sculptures — represent the pinnacle of the North Indian temple style. Still infused with their historical magic, they are yours to discover.
What’s in this guidebook
* Art and architecture review. We provide an overview of Hindu architecture, isolating trademark features that you will see again and again while touring Khajuraho’s temples. To make things come alive, we have packed our review with high-resolution images.
* The Khajuraho style. We then turn our focus to the temples of Khajuraho, highlighting the architectural advancements that were undertaken to make them the culmination of the North Indian temple style. To help travelers understand the groundbreaking nature of these advancements, we compare the temples of Khajuraho with those in the neighboring state of Orissa.
* Tour of the highlights. Following our tradition of being the most valuable resource for culture-focused travelers, we offer a tour of Khajuraho’s premier temples: Lakshmana, Vishvanatha, Chitragupta, Devi Jagadambi, and Kandariya Mahadeva. For each, we reveal its most important architectural and decorative features and offer a discussion that ties it all together.
* The reliefs. Since the inevitable highlight of any visit to Khajuraho is seeing the famous erotic reliefs that adorn its temples’ walls, we reveal their stylistic features, their symbolism, and the religious philosophy of Tantra that likely inspired them.
* Advice for getting the best cultural experience. To help you plan your visit, this guidebook supplies logistical advice, maps and links to online resources. Plus, we give our personal tips for getting the most from your experience while on location.
* Information the way you like it. As with all of our guides, this book is optimized for intuitive, quick navigation; information is organized into bullet points to make absorption easy; and images are marked up with text that explains important features.
* NEW! Customers can now print this guidebook with our new PDF-on-Demand service. See the final chapter in the book for details.
ABOUT APPROACH GUIDES
Travel guidebooks for the ultra curious, Approach Guides reveal a destination’s essence by exploring a compelling aspect of its cultural heritage: art, architecture, history, food, or wine.
PRAISE FOR APPROACH GUIDES
Compulsive (and compulsively informed) travelers, the Raezers are the masterminds behind the downloadable Approach Guides, which are filled with a university course-worth of history and insights for 62 destinations worldwide. WHY WE LOVE IT: The Raezers share our desire for deep, well-researched information on the wonders of the world.
- Travel + Leisure
What started as one couple’s travel notes aimed at filling in the gaps in guidebooks has become ApproachGuides.com — a menu of downloadable travel guides that cover cultural and historical topics of interest to thoughtful travelers. What’s hot: Bite-sized travel guides that specialize in topics ranging from 29 pages on the foods of Italy to one that helps you explore the historical and architectural significance of Angkor’s famous temple structures in Cambodia.
- LA Times
- Category: Asia
- Published: Dec 20, 2016
- Publisher: Approach Guides
- Seller: Approach Guides LLC
- Print Length: 110 Pages
- Language: English