Hawaii The Big Island Revealed
The Ultimate Guidebook
This book can be downloaded and read in Apple Books on your Mac or iOS device.
The finest guidebook ever written for the Big Island. Now you can plan your best vacation—ever. This all new eighth edition is a candid, humorous guide to everything there is to see and do on the Big Island. Best-selling author and longtime Hawai‘i resident, Andrew Doughty, unlocks the secrets of an island so vast and diverse that many visitors never realize all that it has to offer. Explore with him as he reveals breathtaking trails, secluded beaches, pristine reefs, delicious places to dine, relaxing resorts, an active volcano and so much more. Every restaurant, activity provider, business and resort is reviewed personally and anonymously. This book and a rental car are all you need to discover what makes the Big Island so exciting.
• The most accurate up-to-date information available anyplace with up-to-the-minute changes posted to our website
• Frank, brutally honest reviews of restaurants, hotels and activities show you which companies really are the best…and which to avoid—no advertisements
• Driving tours let you structure your trip your way, point out sights not to be missed along the way and are complemented over 200 spectacular color photographs
• 36 specially created maps in an easy-to-follow format with mile markers—so you’ll always know where you are on the island
• Clear, concise directions to those hard-to-find places such as deserted black sand beaches, tropical rain forests, hidden waterfalls, the most dramatic part of the erupting volcano, freshwater lava pools (some volcanically heated) and scores of other hidden gems listed nowhere else
• Exclusive chapter on Big Island’s beaches with detailed descriptions including ocean safety
• Unique Activities and Adventures chapters of exciting activities from ATVs to ziplines
• All new and expanded island dining chapter
• Fascinating sections on Hawai‘i’s history, culture, language and legends
• Companion website with links to every business, events calendar, 90 resort reviews complete with aerial photos—so you’ll know if oceanfront really means oceanfront
"Hawaii The Big Island Revealed" covers it all—from the snow-covered top of Mauna Kea, to the sparkling underwater reefs. This is the best investment you can make for your Big Island visit. Whether you are a first time visitor, or a longtime kama‘aina, you will find out more about the Big Island from this book than from any other source. Discover the island of your dreams with "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed".
Sometimes culturally insensitive
I used to love this book. I took the snarky comments in stride and usually thought they were funny or even helpful for appreciating different attitudes. Now I’ve come to realize that they’re most often inappropriate and even insensitive. For instance, I discovered that the park where the guide describes the docents as ‘rude’ is actually an historic site, and the bay the guide suggests we snorkel in is actually directly in front of a burial ground. If you either stop and speak with the park docent, or read a different guide book, either will tell you this and ask that you enter the water on the other side of the site, away from the burial grounds. There isn’t anything wrong with respecting the local customs and being a considerate visitor, is there? And BTW, the maps CANNOT be enlarged despite what the book says. The tap and enlarge feature doesn’t work on iPhones.