The Impossible Dream 1967 Red Sox
Birth of Red Sox Nation
This book can be downloaded and read in iBooks on your Mac or iOS device.
The Impossible Dream 1967 Red Sox is the story of the incredible team that captured the heart of New England and give birth to Red Sox Nation.
Herb Crehan’s intimate and detailed account of that wonderful season could not have been written without the author’s unparalleled access to the 1967 players during more than 20 years as a regular contributor to Red Sox Magazine, the team’s official program.
In all, Crehan has conducted in-depth interviews with 20 members of the Impossible Dream team, plus Dick Williams and coach Bobby Doerr. He was also able to sit with Billy and Richie Conigliaro to gather their memories of their brother Tony C.
The result is 14 chapters of classic Red Sox history, each including an interview and profile of a key member of the team, supplemented by the description of a critical game from 1967 that featured the player. Interspersed through the chapters is a running account of the season as it progressed, with snapshots of player stats and team standings from what may have been the most exciting pennant race of all time.
Learn fresh new details about the Impossible Dream season. Get inside
• Young (but demanding) Dick Williams’ Spring Training culture change
• Bill Rohr’s near no-hitter in his first big league game in April
• The 10,000 fans (including the author) who mobbed Logan Airport to greet the team in July
• The tragic beaning in August of star right fielder Tony Conigliaro
• The superhuman efforts of Carl Yastrzemski that led to a pennant and a Triple Crown
• Winning the pennant on the last day of the season, and taking the mighty Cardinals to 7 games in the World Series
The book also includes a heart-felt foreword by Cy Young winner, World Series star, and New England local hero Jim Lonborg.
Long-time Red Sox fans will love reliving the once-in-a-lifetime season. Younger fans will enjoy learning about the beginnings of Red Sox Nation. And all fans will appreciate the scholarship and lively writing on a magical team from a beloved era of baseball history.
- Category: Baseball
- Published: Nov 21, 2016
- Publisher: Summer Game Books
- Seller: Summer Game Books
- Print Length: 300 Pages
- Language: English