Istanbul Revealed: Sinan's Mosques
Approach Guides and Others
This book can be downloaded and read in Apple Books on your Mac or iOS device.
RECENTLY UPDATED FOR 2017! With high-resolution images, maps and a detailed tour itinerary, this is the definitive travel guide to Sinan's mosques in Istanbul, Turkey.
Presiding over the Ottoman empire at the height of its power, sultan Suleyman the Magnificent (ruled 1520-1566) championed the construction of large Friday mosques throughout Istanbul. Mimar Sinan, the chief royal architect who was himself a convert to Islam, oversaw this building campaign, transforming the landscape of the capital city. Sinan’s mosques — designed for sultans, royal family members and high-ranking government and military officials — are sublime works of art and architecture, featuring massive domes that take on mountain-like profiles, soaring pencil-shaped minarets, masterful Iznik tile decoration and inscriptions designed to communicate God’s will to the faithful. They are yours to discover.
What’s in this guidebook
* Art and architecture review. We provide background on the great architect and his design aesthetic, isolating trademark features that you will see again and again while touring. To make things come alive, we have packed our review with high-resolution images.
* Tour of the highlights. Following our tradition of being the most valuable resource for culture-focused travelers, we offer a tour of Sinan’s top Friday mosques in Istanbul (itinerary below). For each, we reveal its most important architectural and decorative features and offer a discussion that ties it all together.
* Advice for getting the best cultural experience. To help you plan your visit, this guidebook offers logistical advice and provides links to online resources. Plus, we provide our personal tips for getting the most from your experience while on location.
* Information the way you like it. As with all of our guides, this book is optimized for intuitive, quick navigation; information is organized into bullet points to make absorption easy; and images are marked up with text that explains important features.
* NEW! Customers can now print this guidebook with our new PDF-on-Demand service. See the final chapter in the book for details.
This guidebook offers a tour of Sinan’s top ten Friday mosques in Istanbul:
Kara Ahmed Pasha
Kilic Ali Pasha
Nisanci Mehmed Pasha
Sokollu Mehmed Pasha
Sultanahmet / Blue Mosque (post-Sinan)*
To help travelers with limited time prioritize their visits, we have marked the six stops that are absolute must-sees with asterisks (*).
ABOUT APPROACH GUIDES
Travel guidebooks for the ultra curious, Approach Guides reveal a destination’s essence by exploring a compelling aspect of its cultural heritage: art, architecture, history, food, or wine.
PRAISE FOR APPROACH GUIDES
Compulsive (and compulsively informed) travelers, the Raezers are the masterminds behind the downloadable Approach Guides, which are filled with a university course-worth of history and insights for 62 destinations worldwide. WHY WE LOVE IT: The Raezers share our desire for deep, well-researched information on the wonders of the world.
- Travel + Leisure
What started as one couple's travel notes aimed at filling in the gaps in guidebooks has become ApproachGuides.com - a menu of downloadable travel guides that cover cultural and historical topics of interest to thoughtful travelers. What's hot: Bite-sized travel guides that specialize in topics ranging from 29 pages on the foods of Italy to one that helps you explore the historical and architectural significance of Angkor's famous temple structures in Cambodia.
- L.A. Times
- Category: Middle East
- Published: Dec 23, 2016
- Publisher: Www.approachguides.com
- Seller: Approach Guides LLC
- Print Length: 250 Pages
- Language: English