Lidia's Italy in America
Lidia Matticchio Bastianich & Tanya Bastianich Manuali
This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device, and with iTunes on your computer. Books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device.
From one of America's most beloved chefs and authors, a road trip into the heart of Italian American cooking today—from Chicago deep-dish pizza to the Bronx's eggplant parm—celebrating the communities that redefined what we know as Italian food.
As she explores this utterly delectable and distinctive cuisine, Lidia shows us that every kitchen is different, every Italian community distinct, and little clues are buried in each dish: the Sicilian-style semolina bread and briny olives in New Orleans Muffuletta Sandwiches, the Neapolitan crust of New York pizza, and mushrooms (abundant in the United States, but scarce in Italy) stuffed with breadcrumbs, just as peppers or tomatoes are. Lidia shows us how this cuisine is an original American creation and gives recognition where it is long overdue to the many industrious Italians across the country who have honored the traditions of their homeland in a delicious new style.
And of course, there are Lidia’s irresistible recipes, including
· Baltimore Crab Cakes
· Pittsburgh’s Primanti’s Sandwiches
· Chicago Deep-Dish Pizza
· Eggplant Parmigiana from the Bronx
· Gloucester Baked Halibut
· Chicken Trombino from Philadelphia
· authentic Italian American Meatloaf, and Spaghetti and Meatballs
· Prickly Pear Granita from California
· and, of course, a handful of cheesecakes and cookies that you’d recognize in any classic Italian bakery
This is a loving exploration of a fascinating cuisine—as only Lidia could give us.
- Category: Regional & Ethnic
- Published: Oct 25, 2011
- Publisher: Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group
- Seller: Penguin Random House LLC
- Print Length: 359 Pages
- Language: English