Lies, Damned Lies & Internships
The Truth About Getting from Classroom to Cubicle
Heather R Huhman
This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device, and with iTunes on your computer. Books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device.
These days, going to college and getting that coveted degree may not be enough to land you your dream career. In reality, the job market is so saturated with competition that internships are the latest rung on the ladder leading to the entry-level job. But, have the stereotypes of interns going on coffee runs, making copies, and not getting paid been greatly exaggerated, and even tarnished the process?
There are a lot of misconceptions about -- and controversies surrounding -- internships, mostly negative for both the intern and the employer. In fact, internships have essentially become nothing more than a "necessary evil" to many. Let's face it: the system is broken and needs to be repaired.
In Lies, Damned Lies & Internships: The Truth About Getting from Classroom to Cubicle, five-time intern, career expert, and experienced hiring manager Heather R. Huhman discusses:
- Recent controversies surrounding internships
- The importance of internships
- Characteristics of a good internship program
- How to create an internship program
- Current problems and possible solutions
- How to turn an internship into full-time employment
- How to turn interns into full-time employees