MediaStorm Field Guide to Powerful Multimedia Storytelling
This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iPad, and with iTunes on your computer. Multi-touch books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iPad. Books with interactive features may work best on an iPad.
The MediaStorm Field Guide outlines fundamental concepts for gathering multimedia content in the field for documentary films. The guide is based on MediaStorm's years of experience shooting and producing award-winning projects.
The guide serves as a quick reference for important concepts, from picking appropriate gear, to setting up audio correctly, to shooting b-roll and backing up media.
Additionally, each chapter's most important points are conveniently repurposed into a series of checklists to make it easy to remember best practices even when on the go.
Featuring in-depth explanations of key concepts and video examples from the MediaStorm Online Training series and the MediaStorm Storytelling Workshop, the MediaStorm Field Guide is a handy companion for professionals and students alike.
1. Gear: Provides a list of essential gear to bring to the field, plus an interactive gear guide and discussion with director of photogra phy Rick Gershon about his kit.
2. Finding the Story: Discusses the keys to finding good characters.
3. The Video Interview: Explains how to visually compose the interview, set up audio and lighting equipment, and details best practices for conducting an interview.
4. B-roll: Outlines shooting techniques used to create good b-roll, including how to sequence and shoot for continuity, and tips for shooting on and off tripod.
5. Stills for Multimedia: Explains how to shoot stills for a multimedia piece, including how to shoot good portraits, details and sequences.
6. Audio: Shows the basics of capturing good audio, including avoiding common problems like plosives and detailing the importance of ambient audio.
7. Organizing for the Edit: Explains how to organize and backup media in the field.
8. Checklists: Provides checklists with key points from each chapter to make it easy to remember best practices even when on the go.
MediaStorm is an interactive design and video production studio that works with top visual storytellers, interactive designers and global organizations to create cinematic narratives that speak to the heart of the human condition.
MediaStorm's unique style of storytelling has been awarded with two Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Awards and 15 Emmy nominations in the last six years.
Learn more about MediaStorm's online and in-person training offerings at mediastorm.com/train.
What's New in Version 2.0
Minor syntax errors removed.
Better than expected
Most of these so called Field Guides we find on the market focus too much on equipment and gear. Chapter 2, finding the story is as crucial as the technical part and I really appreciate you guys included that. I can't say a lot because that's where I stopped reading it before I left for work, but as a photojournalist and photography instructor your ten dollars will be well worth it.
Quick and succinct. Demonstrates the workflow used by the team to make their products in the field. It's literally a field guide.
So good I'm buying their post-production workflow course on their Web site now.
Recommended if you're thinking of moving from still photography to multimedia.
A must read for photo and video journalists
This truly is an essential book for anyone who wants to learn about what it takes to put together top notch multimedia pieces. Includes great technical advice, as well as artistic pointers. $10 is a bargain, I'll be referencing this over and over again. MediaStorm always produces quality work, and this book doesn't fall short of their standard.