Pitching Strategies Explained
A Parent's Guide
This book can be downloaded and read in Apple Books on your Mac or iOS device.
Pitching Strategies Explained is the most comprehensive and up-to-date book in the world today on the mental strategies used by top collegiate and professional pitchers. It is a must-have for any player, parent or coach hoping to maximize success at any level of the game.
Pitching Strategies Explained leaves no stone unturned as it delves into every aspect of a pitcher’s strategic universe. In addition to drills, warm-ups and sample game plans, it includes a number of charts and tables demonstrating everything from pitch location to a hitter’s habits. Not only does Pitching Strategies Explained contain everything a pitcher could ever want to know about the mental side of pitching, but it is also written in an easy-to-follow manner and contains information on college scouting, recruiting and parental participation. Below are just some of the many topics the book analyzes.
- How to Get Outs
- Understand the Strike Zone
- Where to Stand on the Rubber
- Pitching Sequences
- The Necessity of Pitching Inside
- Understand a Batter’s Vision
- Pitching to Bunters
- Pitching with Men on Base
- When to Throw/Not to Throw Different Types of Pitches
- Away Early, In Late
- When in Doubt, Stay Away
- How Velocity Affects Strategy
- Work Fast and Upset the Batter’s Rhythm
- Pitching Ahead and Behind
- Recognizing the Batter’s Weakness
- The Batting Stance (how to pitch to more than 20 different batting stances)
- Pitching to the Hitter’s Weaknesses
- Know the Pitch for the Count
- Signals for a Stubborn Catcher
- Holding Runners and Pickoff Moves (includes dozens of unique tips and strategies)
- Fielding in the Pitcher’s Position
- Pitching to Converted Left-Handed Hitters
- Full Count Pitches
- Destroy the Batter’s Rhythm
- The Emotional Game
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Dan Russell is a long standing member of the American Baseball Coaches Association and is the president of a Canadian baseball association. In addition to coaching various levels of youth baseball teams, Mr. Russell is a regular attendant and speaker at baseball conferences and clinics throughout North America. In the formation of his baseball books, Mr. Russell was assisted by comments and interviews given by coaches Skip Bertman, Ron Polk, Mike McRae, and Tony Rasmus, among numerous others. Mr. Russell has compiled a unique and insightful look into the worlds of baseball mechanics and strategies and has documented these ideas for the benefit of the young pitchers of tomorrow.