Politics For Dummies
This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device, and with iTunes on your computer. Books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device.
Whether you understand politics or not, it still affects your life in very real ways. But American politics can be confusing. What’s a caucus? How do primaries work? How can you sift through all the babble to get to the truth?
Politics For Dummies offers all these answers and more. And it’s not just for political novices; even those with a firm understanding of politics can use this book to fill out their knowledge of the little complexities – from how the Electoral College works to campaign contribution limits. If you have little or no knowledge of politics, don’t worry. Most people need answers just like you do, that’s why this book helps you:
- Pick the candidate who best represents your views
- Donate time or money to a campaign
- Let your representatives know how you feel
- Run for office yourself
This simple, friendly guide offers the kind of straight talk on politics you won’t get from a politician. It covers the nuts and bolts of the political process so you’ll have a working knowledge of the system. It shows you how to get involved at the grass-roots level and explains the rationale behind the two-party system. It helps you parse the propaganda to get at the truth and offers a complete explanation of presidential politics. Politics For Dummies covers these topics and many more:
- How public opinion polls work
- How money influences policy
- Why your opinion really does count
- How to donate to political campaigns and causes
- Contacting your representatives
- Politics on the Internet
- Choosing parties and candidates
- Lobbyists and special interest groups
- How candidates sell themselves
- How negative campaigning works
- What happened in the 2000 presidential election
You’ll also find fun and helpful extras like famous political quotes, the ten things you should teach your children about politics, and voting requirements for every state. Democracy won’t work for if you don’t participate in it. So pick up Politics For Dummies, get informed, and get involved. Your country will thank you!