Roger Nichols Recording Method
A Primer for the 21st Century Audio Engineer
This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device, and with iTunes on your computer. Books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device.
Learn the basics of digital recording, each step of the signal path, and everything from microphone placement to mixing strategy through the eyes and ears of "The Immortal" Roger Nichols, master engineer and eight-time Grammy-award winner. From scientifically analyzing the differences between condenser, ribbon, and dynamic microphones to sharing his secrets to an amazing mix, Nichols delivers something for everyone interested in the science and art of audio engineering---no matter what your experience level is.
The Roger Nichols Recording Method offers you the unique opportunity to learn directly from Roger Nichols himself---exactly as he would have taught at one of his famous master classes. The book is excellent for beginners but is still full of information for seasoned pros who want to know how Roger always managed to get that sound. Included are links to Pro Tools session files, personally set up by Roger, to give you hands-on training.
* How to plan your recording sessions like a professional engineer and producer
* Choosing the right microphones and how Roger would place them for a session
* Test microphone patterns; learning about critical distance placement and the 3 to 1 rule
* Understanding digital audio and how it really works to choose the right format for your sessions
* Learning about the signal path from microphone/instrument levels, channels strips, and plugins
* Recording multiple takes, overdubs, punch-in techniques, and gaining insight on editing digital audio files
* Roger's personal tips for mixing, using automation, creating your final mix, and more!