Stories of the California Missions
This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device. Multi-touch books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device. Books with interactive features may work best on an iOS device. iBooks on your Mac requires OS X 10.9 or later.
True stories of the missions give a vivid picture of California's early history. Tales of Indian raids, pirate attacks, courageous deeds, forbidden romance, stolen treasures, and more breathe life into any visit to a mission and any study of the mission era.
Sixteen stories are arranged in an order to present the history from the founding of the first mission in 1769 through the Spanish period, the Mexican period, and secularization and decline. As you read and listen, you will have a sense of what it was like to live in those times. This is no romanticized or politicized version of mission life, but glimpses into the struggles and triumphs of very real people.
* Printed and audio versions of 16 stories that bring history to life.
* 70 minutes of listening entertainment and education
* Additional pages of fascinating stories and facts about life in the missions and the mission era
* Teacher’s guide for using stories for teaching history
* For Travel: As you travel, read and listen to entertaining stories that make seeing and touring the missions more exciting and meaningful.
* For Teaching: Teacher's guide suggests ways to use the stories and other information to help students understand and feel the lives and adventures of the 19th-century priests, soldiers, natives, and their visitors. Makes history fun!
* General: Stories give a comprehensive -- broad yet detailed -- picture of a fascinating period of history. Enlightening as well as entertaining.
What's New in Version 1.1
1.1 Improved the text alignment on the right side of the audio icon—very small visual changes that some might not notice. April 2014 1.0 Fixed mistakes in chapter intros (Chapter 11, 12, 22, and 23). March 2014