Take Control of Getting Started with DEVONthink 2
This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device, and with iTunes on your computer. Books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device.
Take control of your PDFs, paper documents, email messages, and scribbled notes with DEVONthink 2 and Joe Kissell's expert advice!
With the information-management program DEVONthink 2, you no longer have to swim in a sea of Web bookmarks, email receipts, RSS feeds, scanned memorabilia, Post-it notes, and phone bills. DEVONthink stores your digital documents and clippings, helps you scan and store paper documents, and serves as home base for organizing and viewing all your information. But mastering all that power can take effort, and this ebook—created in partnership with DEVONtechnologies—has the real-world advice you need to understand how DEVONthink can bring order to your information.
This book got me around some suboptimal usage patterns that were holding up my profitable use of this excellent software. I'd recommend this book to any level of DEVONthink user. —Scott McGrath
After covering essential DEVONthink vocabulary and concepts, Joe helps you start using DEVONthink effectively. You'll learn how to:
• Get around in the interface.
• Decide how many databases you need and set them up.
• Determine whether to input or index data.
• Configure where incoming data will go.
• Import data from many different applications.
• Input data from a scanner, including OCR options.
• Use grouping and tagging to organize data.
• Use simple (and sophisticated) techniques for searching.
• Create smart groups that automatically gather newly imported data.
• Edit data in DEVONthink (or externally).
• Find the best way to sync DEVONthink data with other devices.
• Share DEVONthink data with other people.
• Export data from DEVONthink.
• Back up and maintain healthy databases.
Questions answered in the book include:
• What is DEVONthink good for, and what should be left to other programs?
• What kinds of data can I import? (Short answer: Nearly everything!)
• Which of DEVONthink's many views should I use?
• When I import data from different sources, where does it end up, and why?
• Is it better to sort imported data right away, or leave it for later?
• Should I group my data, tag it, or both?
• What are duplicates and replicants, and how can I tell them apart?
• Which types of data can be created or edited within DEVONthink?
• How do I make my DEVONthink database accessible via the Web?
• How do I use DEVONthink To Go on my iOS device?
• Are there Automator or AppleScript options for DEVONthink? (Hint: Yes!)
- Category: Computers
- Published: Mar 20, 2012
- Publisher: TidBITS Publishing Inc.
- Seller: TidBITS Publishing Inc.
- Print Length: 199 Pages
- Language: English