The Practical Astronomer
This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device. Multi-touch books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device. Books with interactive features may work best on an iOS device. iBooks on your Mac requires OS X 10.9 or later.
A multitouch, interactive guide to the wonders of the night sky.
Understand and enjoy the solar system and beyond like never before with this handy, interactive guide to astronomy. Practical Astronomer takes you from the very basics of stargazing to the skills you need to become an accomplished amateur astronomer.
Start by taking a tour around the night sky in simple stages learning how to set up and use your star-gazing equipment. Then take a closer look at the objects you can see and learn to train your eye to recognize basic patterns of constellations and how to tell planets apart from other celestial bodies.
This version, designed especially for the iPad, includes:
- 3-D graphics and movie clips that reveal moons, planets, and comets in astonishing detail
- 150 easy-to-use, interactive viewing galleries to bring the night sky to life
- A night sky atlas mapping out the night sky and all 88 constellations as they appear in both the northern and southern hemispheres at different times of the year
- 5 interactive star-hopping maps that take you on a fascinating journey across the cosmos
- Tips and advice on buying and using kit, from binoculars to telescopes
Practical Astronomer has everything the budding astronomer could want in their quest to explore about our fascinating universe.
The star charts for the months do not open correctly. They open sideways and rotating my iPad does not help. Hopefully this will be fixed in an update, as I really do like this book and the interactive aspects of it. It's very informative. Thanks!