William Shakespeare & Robert Langbaum
This book can be downloaded and read in iBooks on your Mac or iOS device.
The Signet Classics edition of William Shakespeare's fantastical play that combines elements of tragedy and comedy.
Prospero, sorcerer and rightful Duke of Milan, along with his daughter Miranda, has lived on an island for many years since his position was usurped by his brother Antonio. Then, as Antonio's ship passes near the island one day, Prospero conjures up a terrible storm...
This revised Signet Classics edition includes unique features such as:
• An overview of Shakespeare's life, world, and theater
• A special introduction to the play by the editor, Robert Langbaum
• Selections from William Strachey, Sylvester Jourdain, Montaigne, and Ovid, sources from which Shakespeare derived The Tempest
• Dramatic criticism from Samuel Taylor Coleridge, E.M.W. Tillyard, Lori Jerrell, and others
• A comprehensive stage and screen history of notable actors, directors, and productions
• Text, notes, and commentaries printed in the clearest, most readable text
• And more...
From the Paperback edition.
bad ebook formatting
Signet Shakespeare Tempest is a good edition in *print* form--but the ebook is very poorly formatted (at least at present); notes are not links and are crazily interspersed with text; I've found the best ebook editions of Shakespeare plays to be the one-play Modern Library editions, but The Tempest Modern Library ebook is not yet available