These Old Tales: A Collection of Dark Fiction
Kenneth W Cain
This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device, and with iTunes on your computer. Books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device.
With this collection, These Old Tales features thirty horror short stories. Whether seeking gunfights, ghosts, abnormalities, werewolves, zombies, psychotic killers, the reaper, the devil, or all around everyday bad guys, this collection has something for you.
"Cain’s unique eye for the macabre makes this collection more than worth it!" ~ To The Bone Reviews
- The Patrol ~ A soldier dreads the solitude of a foxhole when a peculiar visitor surprises him.
- Molt ~ While on a business trip, Kyle’s bad day leads to a poor choice.
- Satisfied ~ A doctor struggles with playing god.
- Gladiator David ~ After the zombie apocalypse our world is reborn in an old familiar place where humans celebrate their revenge.
- After the Ocolitz ~ A young girl discovers her father’s fate after the apocalypse.
- The Necessary Bits ~ Albi reminisces over his deceased love’s death.
- Nocturnal ~ Darkness surrounds George who must battle fear if he means to escape alive.
- An Eye Remembered ~ Harry suspects his boss of something terrible and decides to take matters into his own hands.
- Pieces ~ A quick story about drowning.
- The Lucky Shrimp ~ The grass is always greener, but one who plays with the fates should beware of consequences.
"Cain’s skill as a writer is his ability to take mundane things most of us would never notice and turn them into true terror" ~ Blog Review
- Empty Spaces ~ Dr. Donald Tomlinson helps a desperate boy reconnect to a grim past where he unwillingly killed his mother.
- Visitors ~ A son struggles to convey that his father must leave the nursing home, but his father has made other plans.
- Working From Home ~ Sometimes the worst jobs are those you do from home. Such is the case on this dark and stormy night.
- What’s This Line For? ~ Abel finds himself standing in line, but can’t remember why.
- The Evil Within ~ When the evil becomes too much, Derrick turns to his blade and seeks help at a local church.
- Meeting Roger ~ Roger Digsby sounds like a heck of a guy. Unfortunately, Roger’s been murdered and Nick must now interrogate the suspect.
- The Daily News ~ Sometimes the news isn’t what you expect. Other times it’s outright maddening.
- Moving On ~ A man is forced to acknowledge his past, present, and future.
- Silt ~ Tommy and his friends happen upon an atrocity in a local pond.
- Limbs ~ Neighbors squabble over the bushes that separate their properties.
"The author deftly inhabits the minds of his protagonists, turning each piece into a sharp characterization that resonates long after it’s (usually) morbid conclusion."
- New Life ~ Creation has its consequences.
- Dark Reflections ~ Eli lost his friends, family, and others to a strange force buried in the junkyard. Now he must try to save them.
- Fragments ~ Caleb’s hunger outweighs all other needs. But in his pursuit he encounters someone he hadn’t expected.
- Edgar’s Church ~ Edgar troubled past and present is the result of witnessing his father’s death.
- Anger, Hurt, Pain ~ A dismal story of suicide.
- Branded ~ In this weird western, two men stand off, but a lot can happen while counting to ten.
- The Regrettable ~ An old doctor finds himself stranded in his childhood home, faced with an opportunity for redemption.
- The Way Out ~ A younger brother escapes his older brother’s wrath.
- Determination ~ Tuesday is different, but in this futuristic society, anything but different is expected.
- Harvest ~ Even the Amish have horror stories. Discover what this local farmer’s been up to.
Draw up the covers and turn on the lights. Prepare for a journey into the weird, wild, and creepy in this collection of dark fiction stories.