Insidious: Chapter 2HD Closed Captioning
Open iTunes to preview, buy, and download this movie.
About the Movie
James Wan and Leigh Whannell return to deliver this follow-up to their low-budget successful creep-out, Insidious, which focused on a family who were haunted by a demon.
Rotten Tomatoes Movie Reviews
- Reviews Counted: 117
- Fresh: 46
- Rotten: 71
- Average Rating: 4.8/10
Top Critics' Reviews
Rotten: A mess from start to finish -- though, judging by the ending, this story won't be over any time soon -- Insidious: Chapter 2 is the kind of lazy, halfhearted product that gives scary movies a bad name.
Rotten: Yes, of course it's the sequel to 2010's Insidious, but it seems cobbled together from outtakes.
Rotten: Most of Chapter 2 is unintentionally hilarious.
Fresh: Wan is getting better and better at figuring out what to do with the camera, and maneuvering actors within a shot for maximum suspense, while letting his design collaborators do the rest.
Your Average Sequel
I love the first Insidious; it’s scary, smart, and a blast to watch, especially with a group of friends at night. However, this pointless sequel is a complete disgrace to the first movie. I had little hopes for this installment after seeing the trailer, which is why I wasn’t disappointed when I went to see it. First of all, the scares are cheap; 98% of this movie is filled with jumpscares, and the other 2% consists of a five minute scene involving a closet. During that scene, I’ll admit it, I was utterly terrified, but it was quickly over and we went back to the jumpscares. Secondly, the acting is awful; I expected the movie itself to be bad, but I didn’t expect the acting to be just as terrible! And these actors are talented, I’ve seen their other work! Lastly, I hated the fact that they tried to relate things to the first movie, like explain why certain things happened in the first Insidious. The first Insidious, despite its flaws, is perfect the way it is, don’t try to mess with it. James Wan, what happened here? The Conjuring was amazing, and then we get this piece of trash? There are only a few horror movie sequels that I have seen that are actually good (Evil Dead 2, VHS 2, 28 Weeks Later, etc.)… but Insidious Chapter 2 is not one of them. Save your money for something else, because this sequel is not worth the time nor money. I’m just gonna forget this was ever made and pray we don’t get a third one.
My must watch over and over again
This movie was awesome. I loved the follow-up to the first film. The scenes were definitely scarier. And the backstory to the characters were greatly thought out. Makes me never want to open my closet again.
A MEDIOCRE SEQUEL THAT FAILS TO LIVE UP TO THE ORIGINAL
Like most people who saw 2011's "Insidious," I thought it was one of the best horror movies of that year. With its smart story and clever scares, it did an eerily effective job at frightening and thrilling me the entire way through. So when I heard that James Wan, who also directed this summer's "The Conjuring" (the year's best horror film, in my opinion), would be making a sequel, I had my doubts. Second installments in this big genre are almost always weaker than the great originals, so I walked into the theater with mixed to low expectations. And wouldn't you know it, the film was mediocre and largely forgettable (at least for the most part). Wan still manages to pack in a lot of scares, but there aren't many here that actually work. Most of them are just seem to be recycled from the previous movie, which is a shame since this director usually excels in crafting inventive fright tactics that make us shake in our seats. Even the performances just feel less believable than before. Patrick Wilson, the head of the Lambert family whose visit to the spirit world in the first flick has left his body possessed by an evil demon, is often too outrageous in his overacting to be taken seriously. Rose Byrne's character isn't much of an improvement, as she's merely left with the task of standing to the side with a perpetually worried look on her face. The two child actors, Ty Simpkins and Andrew Astor, do the best they possibly can with their severely diminished roles, while Barbara Hershey and Lin Shaye at least provide a few intriguing aspects to the central plot. Speaking of which, the story is mostly just a confusingly convoluted mess that constantly switches tones and leaves us frustratingly short on tension and genuine surprises. Even the ending feels unnecessarily rushed for some reason. Sure, the creepy camera maneuvers are cool (a masterful zoom-in shot at the beginning is the highlight) and the chilling score that plays in every scene is effectively unsettling, but there's no denying the fact that this movie truly pales in comparison to the much scarier original. Overall, I'd say it's at least worth a solid rent if you really got a kick out of the first "Insidious." Just try not to expect as many frights this time around.