In 1989, the Whitbread Around the World Race was considered to be the most dangerous sailing competition on earth. When 26-year-old Tracy Edwards wanted to participate, she was met with resistance and sexism - no team would take her. Left with no other choice, she started an all-female crew, one who would not only take on the vast and foreboding ocean, but also the doubts and attacks from her male competitors and press. In this incredible true story, watch Edwards and her crew attempt to turn the impossible into reality as they take on fifty-foot waves, icebergs and all of the dangers of the great and powerful sea. MAIDEN is a stunning, emotional film that is “a cause for celebration”! (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone)
Ratings and Reviews
Critics Consensus: Enthralling viewing even for audiences with little to no knowledge of or interest in sailing, Maiden pays powerful tribute to a true pioneer.
Poignant, thrilling tale of groundbreaking female sailors.
- Sony Pictures Classics, New Black Films
- © 2018 New Black Films Sailing Limited. All Rights Reserved.
- English (Audio Description, Stereo, Dolby 5.1)
English (United States) (Subtitles), French (Subtitles)
- Closed captions (CC) refer to subtitles in the available language with the addition of relevant non-dialogue information.
- Audio descriptions (AD) refer to a narration track describing what is happening on screen, to provide context for those who are blind or have low vision.