Disney’s fantastical adventure Oz the Great and Powerful, from the director of the Spider-Man trilogy, follows Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with dubious ethics. When Diggs is hurled away to the vibrant Land of Oz, he thinks he’s hit the jackpot — until he meets three witches (Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams), who aren’t convinced he’s the great wizard everyone’s expecting. Reluctantly drawn into epic problems facing Oz and its inhabitants, Oscar must find out who is good and who is evil before it’s too late. Putting his magical arts to use through illusion, ingenuity — and even some wizardry — Oscar transforms himself into the great wizard and a better man as well.
- Rent $2.99
- Buy $9.99
Ratings and Reviews
- Average 6/10
- Fresh 148
- Rotten 102
Critics Consensus: It suffers from some tonal inconsistency and a deflated sense of wonder, but Oz the Great and Powerful still packs enough visual dazzle and clever wit to be entertaining in its own right.
Colorful prequel is scarier, less magical than the original.
Cast & Crew
- Walt Disney Pictures
- Action & Adventure
- © 2013 Disney Enterprises, Inc.
- English (Subtitles, Audio Description, Stereo, Dolby 5.1, Dolby 7.1)
- French (Subtitles, Stereo), Spanish (Subtitles, Stereo)
- Closed captions refer to subtitles in the available language with addition of relevant nondialogue information.
- Audio description refers to a narration track describing what is happening on screen to provide context for those who are blind or have low vision.