Bill Withers' Playlist
To preview a song, mouse over the title and click Play. Open iTunes to buy and download music.
- 1. "Put Your Hand In the Hand (Single Version)" by Donny Hathaway: "My old touring buddy. When I hear Donny sing this song, it makes wherever I am a church. Amen!"
- 2. "For the Good Times (Single)" by Ray Price: "The perfect singer for this Kris Kristofferson classic. Just simply done right."
- 3. "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack: "Roberta captured the theater of this song, which I wish I had written, so perfectly. Yeah, girl."
- 4. "I Believe I Can Fly" by R. Kelly: "Stunning. R. Kelly put his foot in this classic. He could sing it in his grandma's church."
- 5. "When Doves Cry" by Prince: "Funky theater as only Prince can do it. Totally original approach to storytelling."
- 6. "Just the Way You Are" by Billy Joel: "Great sentiment. A brilliant love song. Wish I'd written this one, too."
- 7. "Down Home Blues" by Z.Z. Hill: "Stank, stomp-down, sho 'nuff, drinkin', barefoot, stockings rolled up to the knee, pistol-in-the-apron blues!"
Name Artist Time Price 1 Put Your Hand In the Hand (Single Version) Donny Hathaway 3:48 $0.99 View In iTunes 2 For the Good Times (Single) Ray Price 3:47 $1.29 View In iTunes 3 The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face Roberta Flack 5:19 $1.29 View In iTunes 4 I Believe I Can Fly R. Kelly 5:20 $1.29 View In iTunes 5 When Doves Cry Prince 5:52 $1.29 View In iTunes 6 Just the Way You Are Billy Joel 4:50 $1.29 View In iTunes 7 Down Home Blues Z.Z. Hill 5:15 $1.29 View In iTunes 7 Songs
The Brilliant Mr. Withers
Mr. Withers has written so many songs that are just so transcendant, so simply stated and perfectly, soulfully human. Use Me, Just the Two of Us, Ain't No Sunshine, You Just Can't Smile It Away, Lean On Me, Harlem, The Same Love That Made Me Laugh, Lovely Day....GAAAH! He is a profound distiller of human experience, and it is high praise when this man says he wishes he wrote someone else's song. Great list. Great artist.
Bill Withers is a gift to Humanity.
Thanks for all of the amazing, uplifting songs you have written Bill...
Of all the performers I enjoy. I would like to shake this man's hand. One bad dude.