Field Guide to Victorian Fauna
By Museum Victoria
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The animals found in the south eastern Australian State of Victoria are unique and diverse. Detailed descriptions of animals, maps of distribution, and endangered species status combine with stunning imagery and sounds to provide a valuable reference that can be used in urban, bush and coastal environments. The content has been developed by scientists at Museum Victoria, Australia’s largest public museum organisation.
The app holds descriptions of over 730 species encompassing birds, fishes, frogs, lizards, snakes, mammals, freshwater, terrestrial and marine invertebrates, spiders, and insects including butterflies. From animals found in rockpools, minibeasts in your garden, to wildlife you might see in the bush. We’ve put in a lot of species, but it’s still a fraction of the complete fauna of Victoria. Our scientists will continue to add additional species and refine descriptions over time.
We are continually improving our app. If you have any feedback, please contact us using the App Support button in the Ratings and Reviews section.
What's New in Version Version 1.1
• Over 30 species added, including the Great White Shark, the Giant Gippsland Earthworm and Victoria’s bird emblem, the Helmeted Honeyeater.
• New birds added in response to user requests, including Red-tailed Black Cockatoo, Satin Bowerbird, Diamond Firetail, Orange-bellied Parrot, Red-rumped Parrot and Pink Robin.
• Marine mammals added (seals, dolphins, whales).
• 75 new bird calls, including Whistling Kite, Mallee Fowl, Powerful Owl, Eastern Curlew, Little Penguin, Tawny Frogmouth and Sacred Kingfisher.
• Frog section now contains the full suite of calls.
• Victorian Endangered Status updated for all vertebrate species (bringing the app in line with the DSE’s 2013 Advisory List for Threatened Vertebrate Fauna)
• Updated for iPhone 5
- Category: Education
- Updated: 09 May 2013
- Version: Version 1.1
- Size: 376 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Museums Board of Victoria
- © 2011 Museum Victoria
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.