** iOS8 and above: Please manually allow the app to access the camera by going to Settings > Privacy > Camera > HealthyFood Switch and toggle the camera access switch “On” **
Chronic diseases are on the rise. With an increase in processed and ready-made packaged foods which often contain added salt, sugar and saturated fat, it’s becoming more and more important to know what you and your family are eating. Many of us struggle to interpret the nutrition labels on food packaging. Even if we do, it’s not always easy to compare products and be sure we’ve picked the healthiest option.
You can view the nutrition information using two modes:
• Health star ratings give you an idea of how healthy a product is overall from 0.5 to 5 stars; the higher the star rating, the healthier the food. This rating is set on default as it’s the quickest and easiest way to compare products.
• Traffic light ratings, which you can switch to, show if a product is low (green), medium (amber) or high (red) for four key food components – salt, sugar, fat and saturated fat.
• Get immediate, easy-to-understand nutritional information from a large, independent, packaged food products database in South Africa
• Get a list of similar foods to the item you scanned and switch to healthier choices where available
• Save your healthy favourites on personalised shopping lists
• Export your lists of healthier choices or share them with friends and family.
HealthyFood Switch has been developed by Discovery Vitality and The George Institute for Global Health to educate South Africans and help them make healthier food choices.
For more information about HealthyFood Switch and answers to commonly asked questions, visit www.discovery.co.za.
1. Updated database.
2. Minor enhancements.
Ratings and Reviews
Very Limited Database
I scanned basic items like bread, butter and margarine. Does not have these items in its database. I am expected to take pictures and add the ingredients through the app. I don't have the time to do this when shopping. The idea may be great, but does not really work.
Developers provided feedback with information regarding a major update including a database update. Will wait for the update to see if it is worth using.
Developer Response ,
Hi SanTheMonk, thanks for your feedback. The help us out functionality allows you to take 3 specific photos of the product so that our data entry team can enter this information into the database and users like yourself will be able to view these products in an updated version of the app. There is good news however for HealthyFood Switch app users, and that is that we have recently finished a large scale data collection which should hopefully allow you to see an increase in products available in the app's database. Please be on the lookout in the not to distant future for an updated version of the HealthyFoodswitch app with this updated database included.
Healthier? Based on what?
I scanned a few 'normal' food items - not found. So 2 observations - if the database is somewhat small, how can it be offering a reasonable selection of alternatives? And then I have to provide the nutritional content? I may as well just read the labels in the store. (Which I do anyway)
Also, I was presented with 'healthier' options which contained more sugar and less fat. Leads me to believe this app is still stuck on the outdated view that fat is bad and sugar is good...?!
So, let's just start by saying 1. this app is about 2 months old, it will take a little bit of time for everything to get on the database. They probably launched it to have its users fasten the process. Just do your part and it will become awesome.
2. The review is a istore issue, not the developers.
- The George Institute for Global Health
- 44.4 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © The George Institute for Global Health
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.