Sasol eBirds of Southern Africa
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
"In southern Africa the Sasol eBirds would undoubtedly be my first choice. The text is detailed, the navigation system is user friendly and the opportunity to listen to recordings of calls and songs is a huge asset. Above all, the superb paintings by Norman Arlott and Peter Hayman have stood the test of time and are more detailed, more accurate and more life-like than anything on offer in other birding apps for the region.” — Mark Cocker, author of Birds and People.
*We have added the option to purchase over 2800 exquisite photographs for 833 of the 969 species in the app to further enhance your birding experience*
*If you would like to experience the app check out Sasol eBirds of Southern Africa LITE which is FREE and includes 30 species*
The Sasol eBirds of Southern Africa is an interactive version of the best-selling Sasol Birds of Southern Africa field guide (4th Edition). This app has specific features that will enhance your birding experience.
● Universal app (works on BOTH iPhone and iPad)
● Swipe to move to the next or previous species.
● 969 Species found in the Southern African region and includes images, distribution maps and text descriptions.
● Over 2800 photographs for 833 species (additional in-app purchase required).
● Audible calls for over 630 bird species
● A “Smart Search” that allows you to easily identify a bird using beak shape, bird size, bird colour and habitat.
● You can select a region of Southern Africa, so that the lists of birds throughout the program display only the birds in your region.
● “Bird Compare” allows you to compare two birds side by side on the same screen (including calls, illustrations and photographs).
● A personal bird list that stores your bird sightings saved to the device* and can be exported using email.
● View the Bird Index by English, Afrikaans or Scientific bird names.
*Uninstalling the app will result in the loss of your list. It is recommended that you keep your own backup (master list) separate from the program.
See our other natural history products:
Wildlife of Southern Africa
eTrees of Southern Africa
eSnakes of Southern Africa
eGuide to Mammals of Southern Africa
NB. This Application WILL ONLY work on an iPhone or iPod Touch and iPad running iOS 7.1 or higher NOT A NORMAL IPOD CLASSIC/NANO.
What's New in Version 2.2.4
Fixed some errors and bugs.
Made it easier to see when 'My Location' is turned on.
To contact us with regards to any comments or issues with the app please use the 'Contact Us' feature in the app.
When doing an app update your personal list should stay exactly as it is, if you uninstall the app the list will be lost. Please make use of the Export function to keep a copy of your list elsewhere.
Below is my review written about a year ago...no real change in the app...maybe just a gadget to make money?
No listing for the Grey Crowned Crane..
For the price of the app it is disappointing that the search interface is so complicated. Also....Where is the Purple Crested Loerie?? I am sure it is part if the Southern African Bird Population? You really need to update the App to actually have all the species represented. It is such a cool app when you can find the species you are looking for.
A real good app
Sadly the errors in this app are not being corrected. The distribution map for the White-browned Scrub Robin was mixed up with the White-browed Robin-Chat. I am sure the errors have been noted some where but not to improve the app in revisions is betrayal of those who pay for the app. Poor show.
I love it and use it very often
I Also likenthe sounds and the refined search for Birds
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 24 May 2016
- Version: 2.2.4
- Size: 482 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Cool Ideas LLC
- © 2014 Cool Ideas LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Photo PackR109.99