"In southern Africa the Sasol eBirds would undoubtedly be my first choice. The text is detailed, the navigation system is user friendly and the opportunity to listen to recordings of calls and songs is a huge asset. Above all, the superb paintings by Norman Arlott and Peter Hayman have stood the test of time and are more detailed, more accurate and more life-like than anything on offer in other birding apps for the region.” — Mark Cocker, author of Birds and People.
*We have added the option to purchase over 2800 exquisite photographs for 833 of the 969 species in the app to further enhance your birding experience*
*If you would like to experience the app check out Sasol eBirds of Southern Africa LITE which is FREE and includes 30 species*
The Sasol eBirds of Southern Africa is an interactive version of the best-selling Sasol Birds of Southern Africa field guide (4th Edition). This app has specific features that will enhance your birding experience.
● Universal app (works on BOTH iPhone and iPad)
● Swipe to move to the next or previous species.
● 969 Species found in the Southern African region and includes images, distribution maps and text descriptions.
● Over 2800 photographs for 833 species (additional in-app purchase required).
● Audible calls for over 630 bird species
● A “Smart Search” that allows you to easily identify a bird using beak shape, bird size, bird colour and habitat.
● You can select a region of Southern Africa, so that the lists of birds throughout the program display only the birds in your region.
● “Bird Compare” allows you to compare two birds side by side on the same screen (including calls, illustrations and photographs).
● A personal bird list that stores your bird sightings saved to the device* and can be exported using email.
● View the Bird Index by English, Afrikaans or Scientific bird names.
*Uninstalling the app will result in the loss of your list. It is recommended that you keep your own backup (master list) separate from the program.
See our other natural history products:
Wildlife of Southern Africa
eTrees of Southern Africa
eSnakes of Southern Africa
eGuide to Mammals of Southern Africa
NB. This Application WILL ONLY work on an iPhone or iPod Touch and iPad running iOS 7.1 or higher NOT A NORMAL IPOD CLASSIC/NANO.
Fixed some layout issues on newer iPhone X devices.
Fixed a few bugs.
Ratings and Reviews
I love it! But there’s room for improvement
I love the app. I love the sounds and the info of each bird. It’s easy to use once you get the hang of it and the best is that it’s always with you when you need it.
BUT it would be really great if the “My List” could have a picture of each bird next to the name. This way one could look through your list and show others too.
Decent application, but needs more information, bird calls and functionality
I have used Roberts PDA for windows mobile phones extensively. Sasol eBirds doesn't have the same amount of bird information. Sasol ebirds also do not have all of the bird calls or nesting information. I have had the application crash on me a few times and there is also no easy way of entering the information for the hundreds of birds that you have already seen. Setting the language to Afrikaans has some bugs and certain birds crash when you try to view them from your bird list. (Tapping on the bird name in the list ex: Bromvoel, breebek, breekoparend, swartaasvoel, also the last letter of each is not displayed.)
I really enjoy having a bird application for my Iphone, but I hope that developers of sasol eBirds will sort out the small errors and make the application even better by adding more information, more pictures, more calls and better management of the personal bird list.
This version is still broken. When I click on afrikaans names in "My List" the application crashes. There is no way for me to delete these birds from my list. Examples: Breebek, Breekoparend.
I have been dissappointed with this app. It lacks depth. It needs:
- all old bird names included in lookup/search (why not merge old names, local or nicknames, new names and Afrikaans into search?)
- picture search option. eg. input shrike and a overwiew plate of all shrikes pops up. Also overview picture plate (as in the book) would be nice.
- better pictures (split up plates to give many, good detailed pictures)
- longer, more varied sound clips, ability to pause, rewind sound clips.
- create birdlists automatically based on my current location
- have an overview of my bird list that shows bird name, location and date seen on one page (with a small pic of the bird?).
- give info regarding birding spots, bird club contact info.
- include video clips, (photos) - iphones have enormous memory space.
- have more search options based on my location. eg. ability just to look for "raptors" or "waders" "pellagics" at my location (not have to look through long lists).
The app feels very basic, and plates are way too limited. DONT BUY NOW, wait for future, fuller versions.
- Cool Ideas LLC
- 485 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2014 Cool Ideas LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Photo Pack R109.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.